Travel Tips for Tulum, Mexico

hello amores!

I recently went on a trip to Mexico. I stayed for four weeks and frankly it wasn't long enough! The hotel I stayed at was Playa Esperanza.  It's a lovely place to stay right on the beach and it has a charming atmosphere.  I fell asleep every night with the sound of the waves crashing against the shore. Now a little about where I stayed...

Tulum is a town about two hours south of Cancun, Mexico. It has a charming laid-back caribbean feel. The people here are extremely friendly. I stayed on North Beach, I was literally within walking distance to some breathtaking Mayan ruins.



Plaza in Tulum Pueblo
It was an absolutely magical experience.

Here are some tips if you decide to visit...

Tulum Tips!


  1. Suncreen/ Sunblock – The sun is strong here! I have fair skin and I was tanned within 20 minutes! So make sure you bring plenty of suncreen or sunblock.
  2. Mosquito Repellant – I'm pretty sweet when it comes to insects, so this was a must! Thankfully my bed had a mosquito net. The first two weeks I had at least 50 bites on each leg, which gave me a pretty bad allergic reaction which leads me to my next tip...
  3. Benadryl – I am so glad I brought this because I don't think I would have survived without it. My mosquito bites turned into welts but one Benadryl cleared it up almost immediately.
  4. Rent a car – I stayed on the beach which was about 5 to 10 minute drive into town (depending on your taxi driver!) I did not rent a car which I regret. Taxis into town were a fixed rate of 70 mexican peso (5-6 USD) each way (you can rent a car for about 9 USD a day). The main roads are well paved and directions are easy to follow, which makes driving abroad a little easier.
  5. Haggle for your souvenirs! – The store owners markup prices in town so just tell them its too much and they will lower it. It is 
  6. See the sunrise – This is an amazing experience so try to head to the beach if you are staying in town, because it is truly a spectacular sight.
  7. Do your homework – Research the different activities in the area. Be sure to check times, admission costs and directions/distance. This will help you to have a stress free vacation.
  8. Learn some Spanish (and Mayan) before you go – The majority of the locals speak English but it is always good to know the local language. Many locals also speak Mayan so be sure to learn some on your trip!  

    ❤️besitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment